Monday 5 December 2011

Christmas Light

I love Christmas!

Every year by the end of November I've begun my holiday preparations - writing the annual family Christmas letter to relatives and friends, going on the prowl for gift ideas and baking up a storm. I decorate my house with multiple Christmas trees and cover my windows in (mostly) hand-made snowflakes. Sam hangs our outdoor lights and helps me make his favorite candy cane cookies. Most years Dan and Todd limit their involvement to sniffing the air appreciatively and waiting for their next taste test - we always sample a bit of everything. The rest we share with friends and save for holiday noshing.

Christmas is a season of joy. People are more energetic and more filled with good will than usual. The happiness and excitement surrounding the season can be infectious. It's a season that makes us want to sing. I love Christmas carols, but have to confess that I find "holiday music" (Frosty and Rudolph - and especially that that "drummer boy" - ugh) a bit irritating. They grate on my nerves in short order, probably because I think they're out of context. None of them really have a thing to do with what I'm celebrating.

I am unabashed about expressing my opinion that Christmas is a religious holiday. Others can celebrate it as they wish, but I'm celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. I'm celebrating the concept of "Peace on earth and goodwill towards men."  I say "Merry Christmas" without apology, and to my knowledge it has never offended anyone. Why should it? I'm just telling them to enjoy Christmas day happily - however they want to spend it.

Christmas is a time of reflection. As I contemplate a birth that changed the course of history I evaluate what I've accomplished throughout a year that is coming to an end. What have I left unfinished? What can I do to improve my life and my world in the year to come?  In a season of lights I am looking for personal enlightenment, and striving to share whatever light and hope I have within me with those around me.

I've written a lot of poems about Christmas, but this is my favorite. Love, light and hope to all, and Merry Christmas!

Christmas Light - by Sharon Flood Kasenberg (December 2007)

As days grow shorter, dull and dark
we pause to celebrate -
remembering the sacred birth
that changed our human fate.
Promised Messiah, born to save,
redeeming all from sin -
He takes our dim and troubled souls
and lights them from within.

A star shone o'er the earth that night -
it was the promised sign -
symbolic of the guiding truth
that did His life define.
It led the shepherds to the place
where He in manger lay -
and Magi from the eastern lands
were led by glorious ray.

The world too much in darkness dwells,
with eyes so often blind
to all the beauty that exists
and goodness in mankind.
The Savior came to bring us hope,
His teachings light the way -
and all enjoy a brighter path
who seek Him every day.

If we are willing to be led
like shepherds on a hill -
with earnestness of heart and mind,
we too can find Him still.
Then darkest seasons of our lives
are lit by stars above -
and we in turn will radiate
the wonders of His love.

6 comments:

  1. Very Cool... Thank you for sharing(LOVE the Poem).. and Merry Christmas to you and your family :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to all my not so anonymous and "average" friends! Hope you have a fabulous 2012! (Glad you enjoyed the post too. Thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks :-) Is using "o'r" legal just to get your syllables in? :-) Glen T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Glen - it's "legal" - poets used to regularly use contractions such as "o'er" to keep the rhythm of their poems consistent. We don't see it much anymore because most rhyming poets aren't as insistent on rhythm as I am.

    ReplyDelete