Wednesday 9 March 2011

Sins of Omission - By Sharon Flood Kasenberg

Since my last blog mentioned the poem about forgiveness that was the beginning of this new poetic phase in my life, I thought I'd post that poem this week. But before you read the poem I want to explain the title...

I thought a lot about forgiveness after my friend asked if I'd ever written a poem on the topic.  I asked myself what I was most sorry for of all the things I've done.  I've always been fairly well behaved,  never committed any crimes or done anything foolish under the influence of alcohol or drugs. (Which is easy when you never use alcohol or drugs!)  This has been a mixed blessing in my life. It doesn't allow me the option of "forgetting" the stupid things I do, but on the flip side, because I do remember what I did (or more likely said) to offend, I almost always have a fairly accurate inkling of what I need to apologize for.

Over the course of my life I've offered up a lot of apologies.  Usually they come fairly quickly after the offense - (I possess a healthy conscience) - but there have been occasions when I stewed  for a very long time before I said I was sorry.  I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I have learned the importance of apologies.  I try to atone for my misdeeds.  Sometimes I feel a bit like the woman my mother once quoted as saying, "I've eaten crow so often I've started to develop a taste for it!"  I can't say I love making apologies, but over time it has gotten easier.

 I don't spend much time regretting things I've done. Once the apologies are over I move on.  What I really regret though, are those things I should have done.  I'm sorry there are people I wasn't kinder to. I rue the times my lack of self-confidence kept me from accomplishing what I could have,  and  the occasions when I should have shown more affection, or been more encouraging or understanding with those around me.  I regret all the times I didn't follow a sudden urge to "do something nice" -  to call a friend who might have craved a listening ear, or offer help to someone in need.

Those "sins of omission" are the things I regret the most - the opportunities I should have taken to try harder, be nicer and do better.  I'm convinced that at the end of my life I will feel the most sorrow for the things I didn't do - my sins of omission.


Sins of Omission-by Sharon Flood Kasenberg  (Feb.'06)

Forgive
the things I haven't done-
lives I didn't touch
and hearts I have not won.

Forgive
the words I haven't said
to sad and lonely souls
whose hearts I could have fed.

Forgive
the challenges refused-
hours that I've wasted
when talents went unused.

Forgive
the chances that I missed-
hands I should have held,
and cheeks I should have kissed.

Forgive
my fear-filled errant heart-
not for all it's done,
but all it didn't start.

No comments:

Post a Comment