Friday 25 March 2011

Two Poets - by Sharon Flood Kasenberg

First a bit of preamble - I get so sick of people who think that all rhyme is trite.  Look at just about any modern poetry anthology, and you'll note that the vast majority of "poems" therein have no rhyme, which is fine - really.  I like to rhyme, but understand it just isn't everyone's "cuppa tea", and can forgive anyone who just doesn't groove on what I consider my art form.

What I can't forgive is that so many of these "poems" (I use the term loosely) just don't mean anything!  Call me old fashioned, but I strongly feel that in order for something to qualify as poetry it has to convey an idea or paint a picture with words.

Other than the obscure pieces, there are the other "poetic efforts" that get anthologized...the ones so artfully dark and maudlin that you want to hunt up the poor soul who penned that dubious gloop and suggest a good therapist. (Buck up, buckaroo - life isn't that bad - is it?) Then again,  perhaps I'm not the one to correctly categorize poetry. You see, I sent off some verse to a respected poet, who told me that what I write is considered more "rhyming prose" than poetry. Which confused me a bit - what does that make all of those people that I considered the classic rhyming poets of the past?

I know poetry is subjective...what is poetic to you might not be poetic to me.  But I still can't fight the urge to rail against the pseudo-intellectual types who want to relegate all rhyme to the trashcan.

Needless to say it was after reading some dubious "poetry" that I penned this fictional rhyming conversation between two rival poets...

Two Poets:

"Look at what I've written!"
(Clearly you are thrilled.
Poetry has bitten -
would that you were skilled.)

"Published!" you state smugly -
"Would you care to read?"
(Oh - this could get ugly!
but I'll read indeed.)

After all, you read mine
with derisive sneer.
Didn't need to opine -
your disdain was clear.

So I'll take a moment
your verse to peruse.
Then with glee I'll foment
ways I can abuse.

"Words tossed out at random -
chosen from a hat?
No two lines in tandem?
I don't care for that."

"It's poetry! - (you snivel) -
Artful and intense!"
Now I have to quibble -
"But it makes no SENSE!"

"Popular opinion
claims that rhyme is trite.
Were I fashion's minion,
more like YOU I'd write!"

All aghast you tremble -
lips you sternly purse.
Now you shan't dissemble -
I'm far too perverse.

"Stultifying triteness -"
you begin to scoff.
I'm through with politeness,
so I cut you off.

"All the rhyme that's written
isn't Hallmark bound.
Some, in fact, are smitten
by more rhythmic sound."

Still you are contentious -
"Publishers don't want - "
" - Verse so unpretentious?"
I can't help but taunt.

"Verses so sophomoric!",
you brashly reply -
and brazenly euphoric
I punch you in the eye.

Sharon Flood Kasenberg, September 10. 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment