Wednesday 6 March 2013

Here's to Your Health! - by Sharon Flood Kasenberg

When it comes to health, most people seem to hold strong opinions.

 I see a lot of evidence that suggests that many are losing faith in the pharmaceutical industry - perhaps scared off by those commercials we see on television for products that warn us that the side-effects may be worse than the condition the drug is supposed to cure. These people tend to put their faith solely in natural remedies, too often relying on their own cobbled together knowledge of vitamins and dietary supplements. I've also encountered those who are skeptics where all things natural are concerned, dismissing them entirely as unsubstantiated hooey.

I think both extremes are wrong, and I'll tell you why.

My husband has worked for, or with, the pharma industry for many years. I've seen the hoops that those in that industry jump through to bring their products to market. Years of scientific research go into producing prescription medications, followed by years of trials. For the most part, prescription and over the counter drugs are safe, if taken as directed. Those warnings we see on television are warnings of what MIGHT happen - it's not likely, but it's a remote possibility that they have the decency to alert you to.

Now, don't get huffy people - I am NOT pushing drugs here! All I'm saying is that they have their place, and that I, for one, am grateful that science has progressed to the point where many terrible diseases have been virtually wiped out in large portions of the world. I'm grateful that we have medications to stabilize serious conditions, to prolong lives and to ease suffering.

I know there are problems with our medical system in general. Hospitals are understaffed and mistakes occur. Doctors do very little to address prevention of illness and nutrition. I have had  experiences with medical professionals who had no bedside manner whatsoever, but in spite of those times I'm appreciative of the medicines and facilities available to me.

Having said all of that, I also believe that many products sold in health food stores are beneficial. I exercise daily and I try eat healthy meals, but because I know there are times I fall off the diet bandwagon I take vitamins every day. I take a multivitamin, extra vitamin D in the winter when sunshine is scarce, and fish and flax oils for my skin, my hair and my chronically dry eyes. (My eye doctor actually recommended the flax oil, which goes to show that some members of the medical community are beginning to see that natural products and pharmaceuticals each have their place.)

For three years, while my sons were in high school I worked in a health food store. When I started there I had very little knowledge of that industry. When the store was quiet, (which it often was  as the owner refused to advertise, and eventually had to close) I would study what I called "the big purple bible". It was a massive tome that provided a good overview of vitamins and supplements. I didn't just read it, I studied it - writing what each item was indicated for and memorizing as many facts as I could. Then, I listed all of the contraindications and possible side-effects of each one on the opposite side of the card. Any supplement that had any dangers associated with it, or any warnings about how it should be used or what it shouldn't be combined with got a sticky red dot affixed to the right hand corner.

Every day people would come into the store who told me that they had sworn off "big bad pharma" and hoped to cure all of their ills "naturally" because "nothing in the health food store was dangerous". So every day I would pull out my note cards and show them my red dots and explain to them that whether "natural" or pharmaceutical ALL remedies are based on chemistry and therefore potentially hazardous. I would urge those who intended to dose themselves liberally with supplements to seek the advice of a professional - a naturopath or a nutritionist before stocking up on natural remedies - but often my advice went unheeded. After all, they had "read about" health food wares, and thought they knew what they were after. Occasionally I had customers come back and scream blue murder because they had taken things that made them ill. A little knowledge can truly be a dangerous thing!

So I think my attitude toward health care is pretty balanced. I will continue to combine the best of both worlds to optimize my health and my quality of life. I will take vitamins and supplements as recommended by those who understand such things in order to prevent illness. But if I get ill anyway, I will see a doctor and avail myself of pharmaceuticals. I am grateful that both options are available to me.

People complain that Pharma wants our money, but having worked in the health food industry I can attest to the fact that the health food industry wants our money too. Nothing bigger than a thimble sized sample was ever given away in the store I worked at. But what my co-worker, like many in the health food sector did dole out, (and liberally!) was advice without benefit of any formal training on supplements that were sometimes little more than snake oil, without ever alerting the customer to potential dangers as a pharmacist is required to do by law.

So use good judgement everyone, and whether or not you come to the same conclusions that I have, here's to your health!!

Here's to Your Health - by Sharon Flood Kasenberg (July '07)

Natural solutions
for every ill abound -
for all constitutions
quite easily they're found.
Tablets, tea or tonic
to cure whatever ails -
sickness - rare or chronic
whenever it prevails.
Satisfy your senses
with aromatic oils -
build up your defenses
and cure those stubborn boils.
Supplement your diet
with vitamins and greens.
Fiber? You should try it!
(You don't eat enough beans!)
Here's a good suggestion
if lentils don't agree -
enzymes aid digestion,
just take some and you'll see.
Cleanse it or shampoo it
with items on the shelf -
and if that doesn't do it,
detoxify yourself!
Take some echinachea
to build immunity -
or try ashwaganda
if you need energy.
Take some horny goatweed
if your libido's low -
brew some fenugreek seed
if you want hair to grow.
B's are sure to sooth you
when you're over-stressed;
St John's wort might improve you
if you become depressed.
Drink some chamomile tea
to help you get to sleep -
bilberry will help you see
and healthy eyesight keep.
Sweeten foods with honey -
use white sugar no more!
I'll help you spend your money
here at the health food store!






1 comment:

  1. A fair and valanced treatment. I, of course, have gratitude for both options, and for progress which allows us to work at troubling conditions via many routes. Moderation is a valuable principle. Now if we only could achieve more in terms of human kindness and civility! A drug or herb for that would be great.

    ReplyDelete